This castle is situated on a hill, above the village of Loutro in Sfakia. Access to Loutro is only possible by boat or hike.
The castle is an Ottoman fortress of the 19th century and is a classified monument. It was probably built in 1868, like many other fortresses around Crete made by the Ottomans to tackle the Cretan revolutionaries. From these fortified spots, the Ottomans could control the area and bring in sea military units as needed. Close by are the castles of Anopoli, Stavros, Agia Ekaterini and Kastella.
The castle was big and rectangular; it had a large cistern and two double-storied towers. In the mid 20th century, the castle was used as a school.

The project is implemented through the Regional Development Fund of Crete
Skip to content